Monday, December 21, 2009

Focus on the Good



When you’re looking for it, there is so much good to be found in this world. It has been 10 months since my eyes were opened to how my beliefs, thoughts and feelings affect my life and I am forever changed. I now realize how my negativity, gossiping and sense of victimhood were bringing more and more opportunities to feel bad into my daily life. I was giving yuckiness and so yuckiness is also what I received. And now it’s different.

I give thanks. There is so much in my life to be grateful for and I now make it a daily practice to say Thank-you. I quiet my mind, close my eyes and silently say Thank-you all the while truly feeling those feelings of gratitude. It is such a simple, yet powerful thing. It has been said that this one act of gratitude can change your life and I completely agree. It instantly transforms your thoughts from negative to positive.

I choose my words more carefully. Words carry their own vibration. They can affect others in ways we cannot fully understand. Your words affect how people see you and feel about you. There is a quote by Sri Sathya Sai Baba that I practice as best I can: “Before you speak, think: Is it necessary? Is it true? Is it kind? Will it hurt anyone? Will it improve on the silence?” This has helped me engage in conversations more effectively and to listen more consciously.

I claim responsibility for everything in my life. It’s not an easy thing to accept at first, but I believe that we are all accountable for what occurs in our lives. We may not be able to control a thing from happening, but we can always choose how to act. This is intimidating and yet empowering at the same time. You have great wisdom within you that can guide you. Circumstances will always come that will challenge us, but these are opportunities to learn, to grow!

There is so much good in this world. Everywhere you turn there are people willing to help; there is positive news and beautiful, abundant nature! You only need look for it.
Danielle Boonstra

1 comment:

  1. Great article, very inspiring. Been on a similar path myself and feeling so much more positive about the world around us.

    ReplyDelete