Friday, March 5, 2010

A People-Pleaser No More


I was a people-pleaser since birth I am certain. My main goal was to look for approval, praise or both in everything I did. Such an empty, fruitless pursuit. We all have our own perceptions. We each see a situation differently, and therefore it is impossible to please everyone every time.

Take this story I heard once: A couple buy a donkey from the market. On the way home,a boy comments, "Very stupid. Why do neither of them ride on the donkey?" Upon hearing that,the husband lets the wife ride on the donkey. He walks beside them. Later, an old man sees the party and comments, "The husband is the head of family. How can the wife ride the donkey while the husband walks?" Hearing this,the wife quickly gets down and lets the husband ride on the donkey. Further on the way home, they meet an old Lady. She comments, "How can the man ride on the donkey but let the wife walk? He is no gentleman." The husband quickly asks the wife to join him on the donkey. Then they met a young man. He comments,"Poor donkey, how can you carry the weight of two persons? They are cruel to you." Hearing that, the husband and wife immediately climb down from the donkey and carry it on their shoulders. It seems to be the only choice left. Later, on a narrow bridge, the donkey is frightened and struggles. They lose their balance and fall into the river.

When we try to please others, we step outside of who we really are. We lose our balance. We know this. We feel it. When you are doing something you do not truly *want* to do, you tighten up, feel nauseous etc. Your body rejects the idea on all levels, but the ego trudges on....desperate for that pat on the back.

No more! My main goal now is to bring love into every situation...love for myself, love for others. With love I cannot go wrong. I walk with confidence, compassion and wisdom. Now that I know I cannot please everyone, I resolve to please myself. I follow my heart and my heart is full...full of kindness, empathy and resolve.
I am a people-pleaser no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment