Wednesday, July 7, 2010

All Whom You Encounter


"When you meet anyone, remember it is a holy encounter. As you see him, you will see yourself. As you treat him, you will treat yourself. As you think of him, you will think of yourself. Never forget this, for in him you will find yourself or lose sight of yourself." ~ A Course in Miracles

We know when we're being ignored. Conversely, we know when someone sees us...I mean really sees us. A person looks into our eyes down through vessels and veins straight into the heart of who we are. This is a holy encounter indeed. To me, when this happens it is merely a reminder that you can have this connection with anyone at anytime. It is just dependant on the openness of your hearts...on your willingness to see how everyone lives in you and you in them.

There are people who are incredibly attractive and those whose presence we avoid like the Plague. This is not necessarily reflective, however, of how they have always been. The potential for pure love and light lives in all of us. We are all merely at varying degrees of that consciousness of Love.

Is it easier with people who look like us? I see you in me because I really do see someone who looks like me? My daughter will often mimic me and I am reminded of how I look or how I sound. It helps me to remember when she upsets me that we are connected and that I have an infinite capacity for compassion where she is concerned. It also brings me to the realization that I have this compassion for everyone. I need only practice it.

Often more than words, a silent "I see you." is enough. A knowing nod...a loving smile...this is so frequently all that is needed. This is where our souls speak. This is where our higher selves embrace and remember one another. The challenge is then, can you see all whom you greet? Can you treat every encounter as a Holy Encounter? Can you wrap each person up in love with nothing but a meeting of the eyes? Of course you can. We all can. We all must. Our world depends upon it. So will you?

1 comment:

  1. I think this is great! I also think it's SO hard to look at everyone that way. I think it's one of life's greatest challenges. Although I may never reach that total sense of enlightenment I think it's something to work towards and do the best you can with it on a daily basis, and forgive yourself if you can't always practice the compassion you with to.

    ReplyDelete